Custom Search

Moving My Documents & Desktop to another Location!


Moving My Documents & Desktop from C drive to another location is a good practice for a number of reasons. Usually C drive contains Operating System which is almost fixed in size, sensitive for parsing, & always a kid to take care. On the other hand Desktop & My Documents is variable in size due to growing-ness of data. These may slow down overall performance of the system, hard to take backing up of OS using imaging/cloning, hard to manage personal data in system drive due to large size & so on. However, right now we are going to learn how to move desktop & my documents data at another location.   

Moving My Documents to another location in Windows 7, Windows 8

It's easy to Move Desktop, My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos & so on in Windows 7, 8 and onwards.  
Just go to properties right clicking on desired folder. Click on location then click on Move & show the targeted path. That's all. This is the same process for all Desktop, My Documents, My Favorites, My Pictures, My Videos & so on.


Moving My Documents to another location in Windows XP

To move My Documents to another location follow the instructions.
  1. Right click on “My Documents”
Moving My Documents 
  
  1. Change the target as your desired directory
  2. Click “Apply” & “Ok”

That’s all. From now you will get all MY DOCUMENTS data stored in the new location.


Moving Desktop to another location in Windows XP

To move Desktop to another location follow the instructions.
  1. Go to Registry Editor & then go for
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Desktop
Changing Desktop path in Registry value

  1. Change the value form %USERPROFILE%\Desktop to D:\DATA\Desktop
  2. Click “Ok”

That’s all. From now you will get all DESKTOP data stored in the new location.

No comments:

Post a Comment